Friday, August 5, 2011

floor options

I have been wanting to go with an earthen floor in my house.  It fits with the natural 'ness' of the house and is economical too.  However having just read this post http://small-scale.net/yearofmud/2011/08/04/the-decision-to-use-pink-rigid-foam-insulation/#more-1585
I am thinking I may need to do something other than just the traditional earthen floor. 
The soil is very clay which is great for building but not for drainage.  I may have mentioned the plan to put french drains in to guide the water away, but going from the experiences of Ziggy I may need to put a vapour layer underneath the floor....  I was planning on doing that in the foundation as well so hopefully will be able to work out a way to do both at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment