Sunday, July 10, 2011

Interior Decorating

Not my strong point!  But I can see bits and pieces.

Cushions for the cob couch - a long one along the entire length to sit on, I'd like to stuff it with wool, probably sewn out of a thick cotton material.  I plan to form the couch so that it is not just straight backed but has a comfortable back.  I might make a headboard that is padded but maybe not.  Pillows and cushions along its length in a hodge podge of colours that I have knitted and felted.  A blanket that I am already working on made from all the left over bits of wool that I have knitted into squares and sewn together - it has all the wool I have spun in it from my very first very uneven skein. 

The interior walls will be light colours to draw the light in, and with many niches in the walls for candles to reflect that light too.  The plan is to have probably only three, possibly four, electric lights.  One in the kitchen, one in the bathroom and one in the cool store.  The possible fourth light might be in the main living area, depending on how much of the kitchen light spills in there.  I am hoping to use candles and lanterns more for light sources - the muted light they brings is calmer and helps preserve the natural circadian rhythm.

The curtain to shut off the bed alcove will be a heavy fabric, possibly felt, maybe quilted.  I also want to use quilts or felt for the other windows to act as temperature control, keeping the sun out in summer and trapping the heat from the stove inside in winter. 

The kitchen curtains I hope to be able to match to the design on the dinner set my grandmother gave me a couple of years ago, greens and olives and golds. 

All the doors will be wooden and probably handmade.  I'll preserve the natural look of the woodgrain and the warmth that wood brings with natural waxes and oils.  Natural waxes and oils will also be used on the earthen floor to provide water proofing and shine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment